I know that it may seem trite to write about this topic on such a day as today. I’m sure that there are bunches of these types of posts, but it is just that there is so much for me to be thankful for.
Our pastor gave a sermon on Thanksgiving last Sunday and one of the things that stuck with me was:
You cultivate a thankful heart when you focus on what you do have, rather than on what you lack.
So basically, being content has everything to do with being thankful for what you already have.
So here’s the start of a mental list of things for which I am thankful (in no particular order):
- Daily grace – God’s grace and mercy is new every morning. And more than a cup of coffee, I really, really need it.
- My lovely wife – she is my help-mate, someone that I can lean against in this life adventure. I’m so grateful that she is there.
- Evidence of God’s grace in my kids – this year, God has revealed that He is working on our kids by showing us the little green shoots of faith.
- Hugs at the door – Although sometimes rambunctious, I am grateful to be greeted this way when I get home from work.
- The Holy Spirit’s enlightenment of God’s Word – In years past, I’d have said that this was a lame-o one, but I’ve been really excited about what He’s been revealing to me over the past few months.
- Grandpa, Oma, Grandma and Opa – We our blessed with a legacy of parents that all love the Lord, and they pour it out on our kids. What could be better?
- Born in the USA – After having traveled oversees, I am grateful to live in the United States. The bounty and provision that we take for granted is more than we realize.
- High speed Internet – Ok, it’s a guilty pleasure, but I really love this one.
- My job – Yeah, sure it has it’s ups and downs, but I love the provision that God has provided through it.
What about you?