Into the Canyon

We got up at 6 am to get ready do a hike down into the canyon.  We got to the visitor center and road the bus to the Kaibab Trail drop off point, since we weren’t allowed to drive there.

We headed down the trail with the intent of getting to “Ooo Aah Point”, which was about a mile down into the canyon.

There were a number of switch backs that descended down a cliff face and then we walk along the edge of the cliff. The trail was dusty and well-worn. There were several groups that were actually hiking back up as we were going down. And we had several people that passed us on the way down.

We took it slow–going at ~A~’s pace so that he could stay with us.

The cliff face that we were walking along had numerous steep drop-offs and were a bit nerve wracking to be near. Christine kept ~A~ on the inside of the trail all the way down so that he wouldn’t get too close to the edge.

We got to Ooo Aah point and it was pretty crowded and difficult to get a good view or get a chance to take pictures. That was a little frustrating. There were a number of other people that were heading further down into the canyon. You could look down and see the trail zig-zagging down the side continue on further in the canyon. I overheard someone saying that it was 9 miles down to “Skeleton point” and then another 4 to get to the bottom of the canyon.

In another life, I think it would be fun to hike all the way down.

…but we started back up towards the top.

I had ~A~ now and he was in good spirits and hiked like a trooper up to the top. He wanted me to carry him at one point, but I refused and just kept encouraging him and he made it all the way to the top on his own.

We were also thankful that the trail, for the most part, was still in the shade, so it was cool and enjoyable, rather than being hot in the direct sun.

I was really proud of ~A~ hiking the whole way (a 2 mile round trip) on his own. He was a real trooper!

After we were done, we caught the bus and went to Yuki point and then back to the visitor center. We then decided to ride the bus and transfer to the “Red” line so that we could do a little hiking along the rim.  But that didn’t turn out to be so simple because it was getting more crowded with all the people.

We did our hiking and saw several views of the canyon.  At this point, the sun had gotten hotter and it was getting more crowded at the park and we were pretty fried when we finally got back to the car.

We went out for lunch and then headed back to the hotel for a nap.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s